The wind turbine at the west end of Exhibition Place is a powerful symbol for a green and sustainable future, North America’s first urban wind turbine. The site is also close to the monument to Fort Rouillé, the site of a War of 1812 battlefield and the remains of the “new” fort. Exhibition Place is emblematic of two distinct facets of Toronto—a historic military site and a centre for innovation.
A major purpose of the Industrial Fair that became the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) in 1912 was to stimulate better, more scientific agricultural practices. Throughout the years, the Exhibition showcased innovation, particularly in its Crystal Palace. In 1882 it became the first fairground in the world to be lit by electricity. Today, the CNE is the first fair in North America to achieve EcoLogo certification, making it the greenest fair on the continent.
Best practices and innovation extend to the buildings of Exhibition Place, home of the CNE and other events. Other sites in this theme highlight Toronto’s contributions to world innovations, from the discovery of insulin to the communications insights of Marshall McLuhan.
A selection of sites from this theme is laid out in the trail Discovery and Innovation.
Banting's and Best's Miraculous Cure , 1922
101 College St.
Burying the Past of 999 Queen , 1850
Castle Stable Hides Military Secret , 1940
Casa Loma Stables
Comfortable Homes Built for Low-Income Tenants , 1913
Spruce St. and Sumach St.
Communications Prophet Both Hot and Cool , 1965
39A Queen's Park Crescent E.
Controversial Psychiatry Exposed , 1967
Idealistic Experiment in Free-Form Learning , 1975
341 Bloor St. W.
Out of the Ashes: University College Rebuilt , 1892
15 King's College Circle
Pioneering Antitoxin Labs Open , October 25, 1917
Power to the People: Toronto Hydro , 1911
Princes' Gates Named After Royals , August 30, 1927
Toronto’s Skyscraper Row , 1911
Yonge St. and King St.
Uncle Chichimus Launches CBC Toronto , September 08, 1952
250 Front St. W.
York University's Front Door at Vari Hall , 1991
4700 Keele St.